I wanted my next post to be the first in a series about molding and casting my rider doll, but those posts are… postponed…until I can successfully write about it without expletives. My first try was rather bumpy, but I’ve reassessed and have a grand plan for Success on the second try- whenever I get a chance to do that.
Meanwhile, I’ve been progressing pretty well on my other goals. I’m done resculpting Alpo and he has his tail back on. I’m painting him white as a base for some new clothes. He’ll still be a grey, but slighty different. I really liked how his eyes, muzzle and teeth are though, so I’m doing my best to reserve those features while I redo the rest.
Chryselephantine 2.0 is getting her deeper color! And some little health dapples too. I’m working hard to avoid grain on her- buffing between every layer which means more work, twice the fixative, and more time. But worth it if I can avoid the dread grain.
Working on her definitely makes me happy that I usually do Stablemates. She’s only a Pebbles but man! There is a lot of space to cover with pastel! And my hand gets tired holding her. Remind me never to say yes to a Trad! : P
The Hale resin has both his details and a name! This photo does not do him justice, but meet D’Artagnan, the blue roan Breton stallion. He’s done except for his eyes, which needs glossing. He was the second resin I got, and I’m excited to have him all dressed. I worked really hard on his roaning too, and I love how it came out. Hopefully I get a chance to take some better pictures soon.
Click to enlarge the roany goodness
Nightfoxes minor repairs are coming along well too. I’ve also been doing a bit of brainstorming on performance ideas, so all in all I’m feeling a lot better than I was a while ago about getting things done. I just got to keep fingers crossed on this pesky casting business…
I know I’ve been remiss in blogging, sorry about that. I’ve been on my computer a ton lately for work, and when I’m done for the day I’m not super keen to get back to staring at a screen.
I finished up the second MEPSA Donation horse this weekend and posted his pictures in the gallery.
I wasn’t able to capture his color quite right in the photos, but it’ll have to do. I was eager to get him boxed up and sent, along with my other donations. My entries for the MEPSA Championship show went in the mail a few weeks ago. So now the wait begins :)
Ponies and prizes, boxed and waiting to be shipped
Meanwhile, there was plenty of model horse news (and eye candy!) as the results from NAN came in. I had a custom of mine showing there for the first time ever, which is exciting. Alas, I didn’t see her on any of the judge’s cards. But still, exciting!
Alianora qualifying for NAN in her breed class at the Spring Fling at Big Mill live show. She also placed 4th in Workmanship!
You can check out the results and lots of pictures on the NAN 2013 results page. There’s also a bunch of photos bouncing around Facebook and Blab. Congratulations to all the winners!
I’ve been putting a lot of work in recently on my Pebbles Saddlebred, so hopefully the next post will showcase her in her new-and-improved state.
I just added my 2013 MEPSA donation custom appy to my Other Colors page. Once I finish his silver bay brother I’ll probably split that page into Other and Appaloosa.
I’m also excited to announce the creation (finally!) of my Tutorials page. I’ve done my best to gather all the great hobby tutorials out there into one place, organized by topic. I’ll continue to update it as more tutorials are published. You can find the page in the main site menu under References.
A big thank you to all the great hobby people out there who are making tutorials to help others learn. I would certainly not be where I am today without online guides! I especially want to thank Jennifer Buxton, whose great blog inspired my own and who has graciously allowed me to link to her many wonderful tutorials.
I’m happy to report that I’ve got one of my MEPSA donations done and the other one is in the home stretch. Just in time too- the Year-end Champ Show is just around the corner. I sent in my qualifiers last week. Next year I’m hoping to seriously improve my photos and get serious with the monthly shows.
The appaloosa is all done:
I like how his appy markings turned out. I did them in a combination of acrylic, pastel, and pencil.
Not too long ago I was thinking I’d need to re-start the Morgan. He was looking really orange and not behaving. But I’m really glad I stuck it out, because this is what he looks like now!
His pastel body color is more or less done. I did the mane and tail last night and will be continuing his other details this week. I’m rather chuffed with his transformation. He definitely gets the ribbon for “Most Improved.”
Big thanks again to everyone who voted for their colors!
It’s been really lovely here the past week, which I hope means some I’ll be able to do some cross country schooling soon. I had a fabulous jump lesson this week- Cochise went over all sorts of scary new kinds of jumps with little fuss and no muss. Afterwards it was even warm enough to hose the horses off a bit. It only made a small dent in all of winter’s sweat and grim, but it’s a start.
Cochise and Emily drying in the sun
In the model horse world, I finished up my donation for Plastic Ponies on Parade, a Michigan live show benefiting animals in need. I painted a micro mini standing draft mare to a chestnut tobiano with mapping and little blue ribbons. Her hooves and lower legs have been refined to escape the micro mini blob look. She’s super cute.
Next up- working on my blue roan draft stallion, who still needs a name.