Whee! The camera arrived and is oh so fabulous. It allows me to accurately portray what I’ve been working on lately. For one, my ASB is actually starting to look like a horse! and a palomino at that. She has about a million coats of pastels and a few of acrylic to go, but I am pleased so far.
Look at the focus! The sexy background blurring! I have been waiting to re-do all my photo show pictures until after the live show and until I can invest in good lights, but this camera is making me want to do it now! It’s going to upgrade my photoshowing ten-fold.
Alas, this mare’s coloring is not as smooth as it seems in the picture and she barely has any color on her legs, so that’s the next step. But I find it so much easier to work when I can start to really envision the final product.
This afternoon I started working on an English set for Rugby, my cantering MM Waler. The more I work with leather, the more I love it… it’s so soft and supple and easy to cut and work with… it’s just glorious and I start to imagine how people can make the amazing tack they do, given enough time and skill and practice. Here is a decent picture (finally) of Rugby and also an hour’s work: his tiny headstall, made from one heavily skivved split piece of leather.
I am starting to develop my own techniques for working with leather. I have two exacto knives that I use heavily- a sharp one for cutting and a very dull, wider one for skivving. I also use 300 grit sandpaper for skivving, which really helps to achieve a similar thickness throughout each piece. My glue of choice is generic tacky glue which works fabulously (another great thing about leather). I apply it with a little piece of wire so that I don’t end up with huge globs everywhere. At this scale, the bottle of glue is going to last me forever.
This progress is exciting and I hope to get a bit more done before I leave for the weekend (and see my real horse!) And now, some gratuitous kitten goodness.