One of my most accomplished show horses is Sierra Roana, my Maggie Bennett Rearing Horse. Unfortunately, because of her cool action pose and her material (pewter) she broke at the rear fetlocks earlier this year.
I had attempted to repair her once before, by putting an acrylic rod in her belly and down into her base. But that was really difficult to do properly- I wanted to get her back into her original dynamic pose, and the repair was made even more difficult because I had to line up her cannons properly with her broken fetlocks.
This time I had two new ideas for a full restoration. One, I wanted to insert the acrylic rod further into her body for increased stability. And two, I decided to just sculpt new fetlocks and hooves for her instead of trying to match up her two halves properly while attaching the acrylic rod.
The fact that Maggie Bennett’s micro minis are cast in pewter makes them wonderfully affordable, but unfortunately it’s difficult to make holes in. (Easy to prep, though, for anyone interested). I made a hole in her belly using my carbide scraper. But unlike a dremeled hole, its not very exact or straight or perfectly round. That makes for more restorative sculpting and pastelling later, but it was a necessary evil to attach the acrylic rod.
But before I do that, she needed new feet. Straight epoxy won’t stick to the broken pewter and it’s two small to insert wire armatures, so I made super glue and baking soda lumps on the bottoms of her cannons.
She looks funny now (especially with her protective cellophane coat) but with some careful filing and sanding, those will hopefully start to look like fetlocks, pasterns, and hooves.
Once her pedicure is done it’ll be time to insert the acrylic rod, restore the color on her belly and feet, and plant her in a new base. And then I can take a better halter photo and start her exciting career as a bareback bronc.