Take Two: a partial armature

From last post: “She looks funny now…but with some careful filing and sanding, those will hopefully start to look like fetlocks, pasterns, and hooves.” Emphasis added.

When I started to file and sculpt down the blobs of last post into new hooves for Sierra Roana, one of them broke right off, leaving her the original pewter stump. The other seems solid, but for stability in the broken leg I needed to do something more drastic.

I filed down her cannon bone to very thin pewter, and then used super glue to attach a thin wire all the way up the leg and out the bottom. This armature acts as a base for a sculpted pastern and hoof. The super glue, as well as epoxy sculpture over the wire, holds it firmly in place.

So now I’m back to the careful resculpting of both hooves in preparation for an acrylic rod and permanent base. I’m going slowly and letting each new bit of epoxy dry before I add to it so that I build up the desired shape slowly and avoid destroying my hard work by pushing it. Just a few minutes a day and now once again she’s looking like a four legged creature.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s