Now that I’m finished with the race horse diorama, the various WIP ponies that had been temporarily shelved are getting my attention once again. It was very pleasant to be pastelling again. And I’ve got two horses almost finished and two just beginning, which is a nice balance. The two greys are just beginning to come to life and with be in that awkward stage for a while. The two chestnuts are near completion so I can really start to see the results of all those layers.
I’m pretty stoked with how this chestnut pony is coming out. After so many layers of chestnutty hues it was time to put in some details so I can see how the coat color is really turning out. I used a lot of different colors in the mane and tail, which was fun and challenging. I’m also super pleased with how the white markings are turning out- I think they’re my best yet. Definitely the smoothest.
I’ve always heard that to get nice smooth markings you have to do lots of layers and you want the paint to be the consistency of milk. That has always been tough for me, because it seems like when I have it that watery the brush deposits bubbles on the horse and very little pigment. This time I did something a little different. I mixed water into pigment to about the consistency of milk, but before applying to the horse I wiped the brush on a towel. So my paint was “milky” but the brush wasn’t terribly wet. And I dipped back in a lot, went slowly, and did a lot of layers. Next I’ll buff the markings with a sock, and then do another round of white.
*cue Jaws theme song*