Most models have a good handle- their tail sticks out, or they have a base, or something else easy to hold while priming, fixativing, or painting. But sometimes you have to get creative.
When my main projects are drying or otherwise on hold, I’ve been working on some of Maggie Bennett‘s awesome micro mini resins. They are super fun and I enjoy painting them in acrylics.
My current project is Maggie’s sleeping resin, Kahlua.
Because of her size and her pose, Kahlua doesn’t have a great handle. I needed to spray her initial layers with fixative, so I decided to get creative. The advantage to her pose is that she has a large area that won’t be seen- her belly and bottom.
So I grabbed my trusty dremel, picked just the right bit, and caaaarefully made a hole in her belly.
The drill bit I used was chosen to match the size of a toothpick. And thus…
Micro on a stick!
I made sure she was firmly on there…
…and then took her outside for an all-over spray of Dull Cote. Then I simply planted her stick in a glob of playdoh.
Easy peasy! She’s drying safely on the shelf next to her buddy Hazel, who also got a layer of fixative.
Hurrah! This will make the rest of my work on Kahlua much easier.