Finally after a year of sitting in disrepair, Sierra Roana is once again on her feet- well, two of them anyway!
This was her sad state for too long:
Oy, my legs!
I have finally managed to finish her repair, complete with acrylic rod, newly sculpted fetlocks and hooves, color matching on her belly, and a new base. Now she is back on the shelf and ready to get a new show picture (or two!)
But one more thing…
I am very picky about my horse’s names, and if I don’t like the name I will start to dislike the horse. Sierra Roana has proven too fancy a name for this feisty little mare. I’m shopping for a new one, but torn between several options. Which name do you think suits her best?
Thanks to my beautiful new teeny tiny brush, I put lovely little white markings on the Azteca mare and she is now finished. She has a snip over that extends to her chin and two hind coronet markings, along with detailing on the hooves. I have some name ideas for her but haven’t decided.
I have about two weeks of college left and I am suffering from serious Senioritis coupled with an acute desperation for my horse and the company of cats. These are my notes from class today:
So I came home and put in several hours of pony time, although I have little to show for it…yet. The Azteca is getting her final coats of fixitive, and two others (palomino ASB and chestnut MM cantering warmblood) are starting to resemble horse colors. My English saddle and bridle remain a strange and uncompleted experiment. My Chips Mule now has something resembling a bell tail, although not yet dry. And frankenfoal remains lumpy, yearning for proper musculature.
I am currently in the midst of finishing my Bachelor’s degree and finding an apartment in Portland, while maintaining school and work here in Washington… but happily I am still finding some time to sneak in with the ponies! I want to get things to good stopping points before I have to pack them up for the trip to our new home.
I am very happy with my little pewter rearing horse from EquineArt Creations/Maggie Bennett. She still needs detail work and another layer or two of body pastels, but she is at the stage where she starts to look decent.
This amazing sculpture is micro mini sized- just over 4 cm at the top of the mane!
I was thinking of giving her some small white markings (a snip and a coronet band or two), but I need to do a bit more research first. I’ve assigned her the breed of Azteca, but I haven’t researched yet to see if Aztecas (or Andalusians and Criollos, which make up the breed) are inclined to have white.
Aztecas are a cool breed for models, because there are different types of Aztecas depending on how much of the horses heritage is Spanish (Andalusian or Lusitano), Criollo, or Quarter Horse. I found a great cross breeding chart here. My mare is an Azteca A: 1/4 Criollo, 1/8 Quarterhorse, and 5/8 Spanish. I’m still working on a name, however.
I’ve been working on this Safari Percheron (now a liver chestnut Suffolk) for months and he has had multiple names during that time… Nottingham, Morriarty… the latest is Goshgarian. We shall see. I am also deciding if I want to sell him or not.
It took me a while but I did find reference pictures and even potential bloodlines for dark liver Suffolks. I don’t do pedigree assignment, but I wanted to make sure a Suffolk could be this dark since other draft breeds didn’t particularly fit the mold.
I’ve got quite a few things in the works, hopefully with some good progress this week: Chryselephantine, a golden palomino ASB mare; chestnut micro mini cantering sport horse; english saddle and bridle; Troy Soldier, the bell tailed mule; a light palomino centaur; and my frankenstein SM foal.
Now that Robyn has received her gift, I’ll post it here. This is my first traditional and my first appaloosa. The background is quite out of scale for her but I am tickled because that is the actually edge of Robyn’s arena.
She is a portrait of Robyn’s feisty, curious POA mare “Alice” who loves to climb and/or paw anything in reach. She is the Breyer El Pastor with a new tail, new mane, resculpted head, and straightened leg with a in-scale mounting block. Her body color is all pastel, while her mane, tail, facial details, hooves, and markings are in acrylic.
I’m enjoying the model horse hobby as a Do-It-Youself-er, making my own horses, props, and tack. I have a small collection of minis and love to show performance. This blog is to share tips, strategies and musings on our hobby in general and the DIY aspect in particular. - Leah Koerper email me