I have a new tool for planning pinto patterns and marking that I wanted to share with you all. Some of you may have caught a peek in my last post.
Consulting my notes while working on details
One of my current commissions is a pinto drafter. I had gathered reference pictures for his pattern, but none of the same horse. As is often the case, I needed to do some sketching to make a pinto pattern that combined two references into one realistically-marked horse.
My reference photos
I decided to look around online to find a horse outline that I could use to sketch the patterns onto. I was stoked to find this image on the UK’s government site.
Click to enlarge
It’s meant to draw detailed pictures of your horse’s identifying marks for a Horse Passport, which makes it perfect for me uses. I modified it slightly, printed it out, and then used a pencil to sketch in the patterns.
Now I can see where I need to adjust the reference horse pattern to fit together nicely. I’ll do my base chestnut coat first, and this drawing will guide me as I map out the pinto markings. I’m excited to have found this so I have a blank to use whenever I’m planning complex markings. And it was great to use for Ducky since I was trying to match a specific horse’s marking exactly.
And speaking of Ducky… he’s all done and wrapped up to go home :)
I added his pictures to my Bay & Black gallery. I also added some better pictures of recent customs to their respective galleries. I’m looking forward to painting and posting more ponies soon!
It’s been really lovely here the past week, which I hope means some I’ll be able to do some cross country schooling soon. I had a fabulous jump lesson this week- Cochise went over all sorts of scary new kinds of jumps with little fuss and no muss. Afterwards it was even warm enough to hose the horses off a bit. It only made a small dent in all of winter’s sweat and grim, but it’s a start.
Cochise and Emily drying in the sun
In the model horse world, I finished up my donation for Plastic Ponies on Parade, a Michigan live show benefiting animals in need. I painted a micro mini standing draft mare to a chestnut tobiano with mapping and little blue ribbons. Her hooves and lower legs have been refined to escape the micro mini blob look. She’s super cute.
Next up- working on my blue roan draft stallion, who still needs a name.
I’m excited to say that I am now finished with two customs, Linus and Alianora. Linus is a commissioned trade for my Chips Thoroughbred and Alianora is now up for sale on MH$P.
With these guys done I feel like I am making some real progress. My goal is was to finish these guys along with Liam, Lilah, Alpo, Typhoid Mary, and Troy Soldier (and repair Doublet) before the live show at the end of March. And I’m on my way! Alpo and Typhoid Mary are getting close. I might even finish up my Fjord stallion, but let’s not push it…
My fake studio pictures above were really pretty simple. I took advantage of the bright morning and added the power of my stove top light to the natural light flooding in. My backdrop is just an old t-shirt, and my base was a cutting board.
None the less, I’m very pleased with how my photos came out!