Tag Archives: RoboClop

Progress Update

My focus for the last few weeks has been two trade-commissions I have in progress. I’m very eager to get both of these horses back to their owners with their new paint jobs.

First up is this Moxie resin (sculpted by Sarah Rose). She’s very close to finished as a red dun overo. She still needs her mane and tail painted and other acrylic details, but her body color- acrylic markings over oils- is done (and dun!).

Next to Moxie on the shelf is this Mini Hazel resin (by Morgen Kilbourn). I had always loved the traditional sized Hazel resin so I was very excited when Morgen cast her in mini size. I am painting this one to a deep dark bay. I wish she was easier to photograph- I’ve done many layers (more than I’d anticipated!) on the way to capturing the purpleish and gold tones of the reference picture. She still has more oils work to go and will be finished up with some minimal whites.

The other piece demanding my attention is my newest performance horse, RoboClop. I showed him at BreyerWest as a solid bay, but he was always meant to be a pinto like my reference picture. I finally got his markings on and I’m really pleased with how they came out.

Showing in English Pleasure at the Region 1 Championship Show

I’ve had a few weekends away but I’m looking forward to a more low key weekend coming up- with lots of time set aside for painting.

In the Studio After BreyerWest

Most of my hobby time since January was spent preparing for BreyerWest- customizing and painting RoboClop, making tack and props, and obsessively planning my classlist. Back in the studio now, I’ve got a number of fun projects in the works.

The work in progress cupboard

I’ve got two trade-commissions going: Hazel needs a few more coats of oils and her markings, while Moxie is getting her pinto pattern and acrylic details. I bought two of Maggie Bennett‘s fantastic resin micros at BreyerWest, one of which is half painted and the other of which I have grand plans for. On the right are two new horses (a CM and a resin) that I had just started in oils when the BreyerWest madness really took hold.

One thing that didn’t get done in time for BreyerWest was RoboClop’s pinto coat. He showed as a pretty bay with high whites, but he was always destined to be a tobiano. He got a bath to take off the sticky wax and now he’s getting his markings mapped on in colored pencil before I start layers of acrylics.

I’m loving having the new micros to work on- I like to do micros primarily in acrylics, and it’s fun to work on them between coats on other horses. This fantastic little sculpt is called Bambi, and she’s currently half dappled grey.

Sitting on my iPad with my main reference picture.

Lots of good fun in the future for me! Just one little thing delaying my work… I’m about to fly to Italy for a three week vacation :D Wheeeeee!