…sand and start over.
Alas, I have come to the realization that Troy Soldier is splotchy and blotchy and cracky and wacky and I need to try again.
The pastel work I had on time when he broke wasn’t stellar, and then after some over-confident application of fix-it acrylics… he wasn’t any better. I think it’s best to cave now and try this all again. I hope to keep his tail as is, however, since I liked where it was going.
After some sanding he’s looking different, if not improved-
His new look reminds me of a horse with a past fungal infection, or maybe a Argentinian manchado.
Next stop: primer.
Tonight I put another layer on my mule (Troy Soldier) and my G3 pony (unnamed).
Weasel the Arabian foal and my Tiger Horse mare are also in progress and nearing completion
Earlier this year when I finally got my hands on Dullcote, I thought my fixative woes were over. Yesterday when I was trying to put a layer on the pony I was unpleasantly surprised to find that the pastels weren’t sticking very well to his barrel. “WTF?” I thought. “I fixed the last layer so he should have plenty of tooth!” Then I realized, duh, that the last layer was on his legs- and I had held him by the barrel in order to spray the fixative. So of course that area wouldn’t have tooth. So now I’ll remember to spray twice- once to fix, and once to add tooth to the area where the next layer will go.
The pony with his third (or so) coat of base color
Soon I’ll be adding darker pastels (purple, perhaps!) to move towards my reference picture
Random Pastel Tip: when you’ve completed a layer of pastels, check over your horse to make sure the dust hasn’t fallen and been smooshed onto any areas where it isn’t supposed to be. Often when I am putting on a rich layer of color, the dust will fall and get trapped between my glove and the horse, so the pressure of my hand applies it to the horse.
The chestnut dust has fallen onto the light areas on the legs- you can see a particularly dark smoosh mark on the inside of his knee.
The smoosh marks do not match my reference picture
This is where a good moldable art eraser comes in handy. They are pretty cheap at art stores and are a good addition to your pastelling tool box. Do NOT use one that has been used to erase pencil marks, lest you get residual graphite on your horse.
Another good tool for getting rid of (less persistant) errant pastel dust is a make-up brush.
I acquired mine by buying an unused makeup kit at a garage sale for a pittance and then chucking the makeup. Make sure you get an unused brush and then keep it nice and clean so dust does not move from model to model. These are especially nice for getting excess dust out of pesky spots like in ears and eyes and other sculpted details. The brush is nice and soft, so it only removes the surface dust and doesn’t take off the applied color.
Posted in Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
Tagged cheap thrills, chestnut, customizing, fixative, pastelling, progress, stablemates, tips & tricks, tools, Troy Soldier, WIP
I am having a bit of a crappy week but I hope to spend much of this weekend working on models and distracting myself from the aforementioned crap.
Several of the models that I have been sculpting for weeks are nearing completion and will be ready for painting to start. I have been having so much fun with the sculpting aspect of things that I have barely done finish work lately. But soon I’m going to be overflowing with models needing paint work. I like to work in these batches, with lots of models needing sculpting or paint, because I can go slow and rotate around, working on each one each day and still having plenty to keep me occupied. Otherwise I work too fast and bad things happen.
This is Alpo, a snotty little pony made from the G3 Highland. He’ll be painted a very white grey.
This is a PS mule with a new belled tail. I’ve redone that darn tail about 5 times but I think this time I might actually keep it. He’ll be a chestnut with pangare.
The G2 Shetland with a less neurotic headset, new ears, tail, and knotted mane. She’ll be a semi portrait of my friend’s adorable rose grey Welsh.
I love to chop up stablemates. My original idea was simply to use the back half of the G2 ASB with the front half of the G1 Morgan mare (left) but then my friend told me I should put the two remaining halves together too, so the model on the right was born. Colors, names, and breeds are still undecided, and I have a lot of sculpting left to do on these two. The model on the right is my first to require massive muscle re-sculpting… I’m learning lots, and fast!
Mostly the above models require sanding, sanding, more sanding, and a few little tweaks. I also have a G3 Cantering Warmblood who I hope to start today; he’ll be a warm dapple bay. I may also get feisty and try some acrylic body work on my another (uncustomized) G3 Highland pony.
Model horses are great therapy.
Posted in News
Tagged Alpo, customizing, frankenhorse, Lady Diptych, progress, sculpting, stablemates, Sunset Highway, Troy Soldier, Typhoid Mary, WIP